Friday, August 8, 2008

Strawberry and Lemonade layered collage

Wow, I can't believe it's been so long since I posted. Well, it hasn't been waaay long, but longer than I intended. I started out so well, for the first several months after I started my blog, by consistently posting twice a week. Then it kind of got away from me. Well, my work schedule has also changed several times, which has had an effect on my free time and time to do art, so that's been a factor. At any rate, I got some new art done yesterday and today, so I have something new to post. Yippee! It always makes me happy to get new art done, and to post it on my blog.

On my last post, I posted a layered collage, and confessed I didn't intend for it to be a layered collage when I started out. However with this piece, I did intend for it to be a layered collage. Which hopefully means that I'm gaining more confidence in doing this kind of work, and overcoming my fears, or at least some of them, related to layered collage. Although you can't tell from the photo, this piece is smaller than the last one, and is a 5x5 art squared piece.

I glued the background, a page from a wallpaper sample book, onto my old standby, frozen pizza cardboard. This sample is fabric wallpaper. Cool, huh? That gives it a lot of texture, right off the bat. Then I glued down some hand written text, some music paper, and some dress pattern tissue paper. Also some torn strips of gold wrapping paper. At the bottom right, I cut out the image from the envelope of a dress pattern, and glued that down. I also used some netted fabric, fiber paper, screening, and obviously the small key.

Once again, as I did on my last collage, I rubbed brown shoe polish over the whole piece. Then I sprayed with Memory Mists in Mango Lemonade and Strawberry Daiquiri. I LOVE those two colors together. I finished it off by sealing with Acrylic Floor Finish, the Family Dollar brand. One last thing. The key and the screening look silver-ish in the photo, but they are more of a bronze color on the actual piece, and look a lot better than in the photo. It bugs me that they look that way in the photo, but I don't know how to fix that.

Regarding the key, I won two auctions on ebay for a number of old keys. For skeleton keys, and other interesting keys. I lost several auctions before I finally scored. And was amazed at what most old key lots are selling for on ebay. Considering that, I did pretty well on my two auctions, bidding at the last second. Now, I'm the proud owner of 17 very cool old/antique skeleton keys of different sizes. I hope to use some of them on assemblages, if I ever get around to making an assemblage. I was excited to use this tiny key on this piece. I think maybe it's a jewelry box key.

So that's how this piece came together, and I'm feeling better about attempting layered collages. Thanks so much for your encouragement in comments on my last layered collage, it encouraged me, motivated me, and inspired me to make this one. I'm trying to face my fears and overcome them.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work! Thanks for sharing your process :)

Unknown said...

Val~
I love it! Girl, your posts ALWAYS inspire me to create... please allow the inspiration you give to inspire confidence in your own work... YOU ROCK!!!

xoxo
jul

Sharon said...

I enjoy looking at your artwork! Amazing pieces~you really know how to put things together to create some wonderful works of art!

Michi Michaelson, Orange County, CA said...

This is REALLY beautiful, Val . . . I LOVE the textures . . . the colors . . . embellishments . . . EVERYTHING!!!!! Well done!

Mary S. Hunt said...

there is SO much texture ...
and as I look at the piece more and more of the subtle images fade in to view
the colors are wonderful
i am impressed!
i can't believe this is just your second attempt at collage

the fear thing is hard..but taking the challenge to keep doing what you are afraid to
is the best thing to do
and you are doing it well!!!!

Unknown said...

Way to go! My favorite colors and the textures are yummy. Congrats on getting the keys. I got antique keys the same way you did. I lost out on quite a few before finally scoring with 32 keys. They weren't cheap that's for sure but I've had fun with them.

Christy said...

Val I am looking at this on my blackberry so I'm not getting all of the tiniest details but this is just beautiful! I love the key over the screen it makes me want to pick it up. Great job and tha,ks for sharing with us... Good to know we all have things to push ourselves with.

Eileen said...

Val, this is awesome work. I love it. I keep looking it at it and seeing so much more. You get a big gold star for this. Now I wanna see more that you do......

Eileen

Anonymous said...

Great piece, Val! Love it!

Cyndi

Moonwillow said...

Val your work is always amazing and this one is just as amazing as all the others! Great texture and color - babababam! Beautiful.

Linda East said...

Oh Val...what can I say...you know how much I love your work..this piece shows me how much you are growing as an artist...you are so talented and so creative...you need to get some of these framed and take them to a gallery...I know they would sell...and that would give you more money to by stuff off of ebay...yeah that is what I am talking about. I just love your work. Luv LE

nancy said...

Valerie, I think it is amazing and beautiful! I really appreciate your details aabout how you put it together. I'm taking notes. I love to put a "finish" on all my work - mostly I do atc's - and so I do Mod Podge. I'm going to try your acrylic floor finsh, though. Thanks so much and congrats on a wonderful piece!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see you working on getting out of your comfort zone! Good job! --Tracey

morningDove said...

wow! I love it and the layering looks like you've been doing it for a long time. I kept trying to figure out where and who I had read use cardboard backing. And here your post is on Rusty things.
I just love your work.
I read on another blog she uses an opaque small trash can with a whole cut out of the bottom, just big enough to put her camera through and takes pics that way. Gets much better, clearer pics. I'm going to try it.

Sherry Goodloe said...

I LOVE texture, so I'm really digging your latest work (smiles)

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Val - love this! Would love to see these in person! Lots of layers and textures, very nice!