Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Caulk for texture blowout-- a circle abstract piece

Well, once again it's been too long since I posted some new art.  My blog seems to be getting away from me, which definitely bothers me.  Lately, my blog hits have dwindled significantly, which hurts a lot.  Then again, I have to keep reminding myself that my blog, although it's very important to me, is only one part of my life.  A big part yes....but only one part.    The same thing with making art.

I've been in a mini-slump lately, meaning I've worked on some art but not to the extent I wanted.  I've been in much worse slumps, so in comparison, this one hasn't been that bad or frustrating, or even guilt producing.  So....that being said, here is my latest work of art, started and completed yesterday.

Well, as I've written before, I do love using caulk as an art medium, especially for texture.  And since most of the time, I tend to put a lot of emphasis on texture, caulk is right up my alley.  I love it, because it works, it's easily accessible and available, and it's cheap and economical.  It can be bought an any home improvement store for just a few dollars.  It has also been available at Family Dollar stores for a buck for the kind of tube that needs a caulk gun.  That's where I've been buying it as long as they sell it there.  I hope they keep selling it there, but I've stocked up on it, just in case.

Referring to this art piece, I used a thick piece of chipboard for the base.  Well, a few months ago, I bought 75 pieces of this chipboard on ebay, and am so glad I did.  The price was great, the shipping was not so great, but the overall price was reasonable.  It works for me on this kind of piece, which is 8 1/2 x 11 inches.  I used a non-serrated vintage butter knife to spread the white acrylic caulk.  I tried to spread it fairly thin.  Then I used the knife to texturize it in a somewhat random way.  Then I used foam circle stamps, a larger one and a smaller one, to impress on the caulk and swirl it around and pull it up.  And also a drinking straw to make smaller circles, and  then a sharp awl to draw lines in it.  Once I was done with it, I was satisified.  So then I let it dry.

Then I painted it with coffee acrylic paint, and then rubbed over it with brown shoe polish.  I've done this many times before in my art, but not so much lately, since I've been more into using bold color.  After that, I used gold and coffee metallic paint diluted with water to roll down the piece in a random way, based on the texture.  And then painted it with Future Floor Finish (FFF) for a gloss effect, and used splattered copper and gold Pearl-Ex over that.  I wanted a random paint effect, which I think I achieved.

So anyway, this is the abstract texture piece I ended up with.  I like it a lot.  And it just reminds me how much I like using caulk, the poor man's molding paste.  I think, even if I could afford to spend money on the most artistic/expensive supplies and tools, I'd much prefer to use other things, cheaper things, for basically the same effect and result.   I'm a lot more about that approach, at least whenever I can be.  I love using things not purposed for art in my art.  I love pushing the envelope that way, and also saving money.  

But then again, I think there needs to be a balance regarding that.  Because some art supplies can't be easily substituted by something else.  However, as for me, I'm always game to try!!!

20 comments:

Alizarine said...

Gotta try this!! Great piece!!!

Beachstudio said...

I like this, the colors and texture are great. But the explanation is fantastic... I love how you explained how you used non-artsy stuff. Continue on!!!

Linda

Brenda said...

Fabulous piece, great colours and textures. Love your repurpose philosophy and using products that emulate expensive art products.

Anonymous said...

Love It!!!!!!!!! I like to use spackling paste. I am forever trying to find "recipes" for homemade art supplies. I also like to use the net bags from onions to add texture.

donna
dbughall@tampabay.rr.com

Zeborah Loray said...

Love what you are doing. I need to lay with caulk again. It's been a long time.
Waaay cheaper than the gel mediums I've gotten into the habit of using.

Ginny Gaskill said...

Thanks for sharing! I love your piece and I am heading out tomorrow to buy some caulk. I have a journal cover to do and this looks like a great plan.

Anonymous said...

Super art piece, Val!

Michele/TextileTraveler said...

Wonderful piece! The texture is very nice and the colors are lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Corinne Vivian said...

Thank you for this post. You have thinking ad planning. Always open to new ideas and I have lots of caulk. Thanks for lifting me out of my slump.

Patti Gibbons said...

I think you did a wonderful job and it is really cool. I have never tried caulk. I agree about using non-traditional materials. My only concern is their ability to hold up for a few lifetimes if I sell my art.
I am having a few problems with some pieces I have made which I have to fix using a non traditional collage method..good thing that they did not sell!

Anonymous said...

Yummo Val another great textural piece.

Unknown said...

I love your detailed explanation of how you did this! Now to read more on your blog....
kathy
www.kathydkeith.etsy.com
dentzL@aol.com

Michi Michaelson, Orange County, CA said...

Hi Val!
Your artwork is AMAZING!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You have been nominated for a Blog Award!!! Please see my blog for details!!!!

peggy gatto said...

I love to try new things and this tech is definitely a keeper!
Thank you for the lesson!!!

Alice C. W. Dennis said...

Val, What a wonderful piece. I too love using what is on hand. It makes art more of a challenge, and thus more fun to me, because I love a challenge!
alice

Peggy said...

I like it a lot! Fantastic texture and depth of color.

Unknown said...

fantastic piece! i have used modeling paste with stencils. i am inspired! thank you.

di from di-did-it said...

Another great piece, Val! I know what you mean about the slump and your art, blog, etc. being big parts of your life. Today is the first day I've been able to sign into my blog since 6/18, let alone create much art. It's all a balancing act isn't it? Ebb & flow. Anyway, whenever you post next, we'll be here waiting :)

nanke's stuff said...

It's lovely - what are it's dimensions? nancy

Nancy Hunt-Bartek said...

Do you know that almost any printer in town will sell you chipboard? They buy it in bulk and always have it on hand. Usually in 2 sizes and it is much cheaper to buy this way. My Office depot even collates 20 page books for me of it. Some places also carry it in white. Call around, you might get a good deal if you use alot. I buy it by the 100's.
fondly, Nancy