This is a piece I made recently. One I really like and am proud of. I didn't post it on my blog because I planned to enter it into a juried open show at a local art gallery. I've never done that before, so I was excited about it....but also a bit fearful about how it would feel if this piece didn't get juried into the show. I had no idea what to expect, although I was hopeful. Sad to say, it did not get juried in, which I must admit hurt and wounded my art ego. I was sad and upset for that day, after I got the email. Well, for more than that day, to be honest. But after a few days, I got over it and am okay now. The theme of the show was "Abstract", which I felt was right up my alley. So I made this piece especially for the show.
There was only one juror, who has his own art gallery, which mostly features abstract art. I wasn't able to find out why this piece was rejected, but the lady who was at the gallery when I went to pick it up, who's also an artist although she didn't enter the show, gave me some feedback. She said she really liked this piece, but that perhaps it should've been framed, to give it a more professional look. And that makes sense to me, although even if it had been framed, who knows if it would've been accepted? But I'm sure it would've looked better and more professional if I'd had it framed.
I used a cabinet card for the base of my art, and glued it onto a 12x16 inch canvas board. Silly me, I thought that would be professional enough. I mean hey, at least I didn't use frozen pizza box or chipboard, which I most often use. But when it comes to submitting art to a real art gallery, I'm a total newbie and novice. Hopefully I learned my lesson on that.
Anyway, I mounted the cabinet card vertically, which I thought was interesting and different. On the top part, I spread a layer of caulk and impressed into it with a foam circle stamp, a soda bottle lid, a drinking straw, and the end of a paint brush. I also used a circle cut out of a vinyl rug runner, that has swirls on one side of it. My main theme was circles, which I've done a number of times before. My initial intention was to make this a black and white piece, so once the caulk dried I painted over it with black acrylic paint. I planned to rub over that with white acrylic paint, but then the idea came to me to use metallic pearl white instead of regular white. So I did that, and was rather surprised that it ended up looking more like silver than white. At first that bothered me, but then I came to like it, so I left it that way.
On the bottom part I used micro beads in gel medium on the frame part for a different texture, and painted over it with black. I used a sample piece of fabric wallpaper, with the white lines, inside the frame. Then I found the cool twig in my yard, which was the perfect size to fit inside the frame. I painted it black, then rubbed the metallic pearl over it with my finger. Then I made a caulk circle (on frozen pizza box) with my vinyl rug runner stamp. And painted it black and rubbed on the metallic pearl.
I wrapped thick black quilting thread around the canvas board before gluing down the cabinet card, to repeat the lines in the frame. (That idea was suggested to me by someone in my local art group, Terry. Thank you Terry, I think it was a great idea.) Then I painted some flat, round wooden beads black, and glued those on to repeat the circle theme.
So that's how this piece came together. I'm sad that it didn't get accepted into the show, but even so, I really like this piece a lot. And yes, I think it would look better and more professional if I had it framed, which I may do at some point. Right now, the cost of doing that is a problem, but it would look better and more finished if I had it framed.