Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ebony and Ivory -- textured caulk abstract


This is a piece I made recently.  One I really like and am proud of.  I didn't post it on my blog because I planned to enter it into a juried open show at a local art gallery.  I've never done that before, so I was excited about it....but also a bit fearful about how it would feel if this piece didn't get juried into the show.  I had no idea what to expect, although I was hopeful.  Sad to say, it did not get juried in, which I must admit hurt and wounded my art ego.  I was sad and upset for that day, after I got the email.  Well, for more than that day, to be honest.  But after a few days, I got over it and am okay now.  The theme of the show was "Abstract", which I felt was right up my alley.  So I made this piece especially for the show.  

There was only one juror, who has his own art gallery, which mostly features abstract art.  I wasn't able to find out why this piece was rejected, but the lady who was at the gallery when I went to pick it up, who's also an artist although she didn't enter the show, gave me some feedback.  She said she really liked this piece, but that perhaps it should've been framed, to give it a more professional look.  And that makes sense to me, although even if  it had been framed, who knows if it would've been accepted?  But I'm sure it would've looked better and more professional if I'd had it framed.

I used a cabinet card for the base of my art, and glued it onto a 12x16 inch canvas board.  Silly me, I thought that would be professional enough.  I mean hey, at least I didn't use frozen pizza box or chipboard, which I most often use.  But when it comes to submitting art to a real art gallery, I'm a total newbie and novice.  Hopefully I learned my lesson on that.

Anyway, I mounted the cabinet card vertically, which I thought was interesting and different.  On the top part, I spread a layer of caulk and impressed into it with a foam circle stamp, a soda bottle lid, a drinking straw, and the end of a paint brush.  I also used a circle cut out of a vinyl rug runner, that has swirls on one side of it.  My main theme was circles, which I've done a number of times before. My initial intention was to make this a black and white piece, so once the caulk dried I painted over it with black acrylic paint.  I planned to rub over that with white acrylic paint, but then the idea came to me to use metallic pearl white instead of regular white.  So I did that, and was rather surprised that it ended up looking more like silver than white.  At first that bothered me, but then I came to like it, so I left it that way.

On the bottom part I used micro beads in gel medium on the frame part for a different texture, and painted over it with black.  I used a sample piece of fabric wallpaper, with the white lines, inside the frame.  Then I found the cool twig in my yard, which was the perfect size to fit inside the frame.  I painted it black, then rubbed the metallic pearl over it with my finger.  Then I made a caulk circle (on frozen pizza box) with my vinyl rug runner stamp.  And painted it black and rubbed on the metallic pearl.

I wrapped thick black quilting thread around the canvas board before gluing down the cabinet card, to repeat the lines in the frame.  (That idea was suggested to me by someone in my local art group, Terry.  Thank you Terry, I think it was a great idea.)  Then I painted some flat, round wooden beads black, and glued those on to repeat the circle theme.

So that's how this piece came together.  I'm sad that it didn't get accepted into the show, but even so, I really like this piece a lot.  And yes, I think it would look better and more professional if I had it framed, which I may do at some point.  Right now, the cost of doing that is a problem, but it would look better and more finished if I had it framed.

 

26 comments:

Carolyn Abramofsky said...

It is a lovely piece. I understand from a friend, that galleries like framed art. So you might want to check out what kinds of frames they prefer. It could be just that simple. Carolyn

Ashlyn said...

Do you sell your art?

I absolutely LOVE this piece!!!

Hugs, Ashlyn

Unknown said...

Just wanted to tell u....chin up, chest out! I personally think that you made a very striking piece, one that I would be proud to own. There is a lot to read into the piece, depending on how you look at it. Perhaps a frame would have made it a tad more professional, who knows. But I see no reason in the world it should not have been accepted! Who knows, with something juried.....it's up to the juror and their personal taste. I....love it!

gale said...

Hi!!
Love abstract art. Your piece is just wonderful. The thing about abstract is it appeals to everyone on a different level and is open to interpertation as one perceives it to be. (what a sentence).
Don't ever be discouraged just enjoy your art and be creative in your way. !!!
Love and Laughter,
Gale

Therese said...

Val, I like your work and am sorry it didn't make it too. I have learned, though, that presentation is a huge percentage of the art itself. My dear friend has entered artwork at shows and in mags and has judged art herself. She tells me constantly how presentation is paramount. I also spoke to a judge at a fair re: needlepoint. you would think that only the front would matter...nope, every thread had to be perfectly hidden, cut, crossed, etc. I guess there is a point to what they expect, and if you're selling your art (I learned from my aunt) you must have it be professional in every aspect even down to how the hanger is attached. Regardless, you will always have friends and admirers like me who will be WOW'd by your talent. Keep up the incredible art you do, and remember what you've learned from this valuable lesson at the juried show.
Hugs, Terry (Altered Art Visions & Dreams group).

Alice C. W. Dennis said...

Val, I love your piece. Juried art exhibits are very subjective. One piece may be denied in one exhibit and get best of show in another. Each of us have our own conceptions of art as do jurors. Many times I go to an exhibit and cannot understand why one piece received an award and another didn't.

Carolyn said...

Val, it is awesome!

Carolyn S

Anonymous said...

Val,
Your piece is fabulous! And as hokey as this sounds- you are a winner just for entering. Congratulations on your accomplishment!!
Pam

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Val,

I love your Ebony and Ivory piece!
It reminds me of African Art which I really like. :)

Linda East said...

Do some more kid...you are on the right path here...it was 1 persons opinion...Keep entering your work. Besides I think you make are for your self and for the enjoyment.
Create & Share
Linda (Okla)

Daphne said...

Val, I think this piece is gorgeous. Different colors than you usually work with, and very dramatic indeed. Great artwork!

Stacy said...

I think this is a really cool piece. I understand how you feel. Just remember no risk no reward. You never know when it could be the right fit. Never give up and keep up the great work

marianne said...

this is really nice, and congrats on being brave enough to enter the juried show! lots of artists never get that far. i have a friend who is a fabulous artist who was told early on that a piece she entered would have won an award in a show has she invested in better framing. the juror was kind enough to explain what he meant and she was kind enough to share the story. i have learned that if i want to be accepted in shows i do what i need to do for either the photo of my work or the framing. but you should also (if you haven't) go to the show & see what was accepted. i had one of the best landscapes i ever painted rejected and when i went to the show it was clear that the juror's vision was something completely different. so just keep trying - you will have some successes too.

Lynn Stevens said...

Don't be to discouraged about not getting into the show. We've ALL been there! When you only have one judge ,its only one opinion. I,ve been on the other end and have had to judge shows. Its really tough, you want to take everyone but you can't,then sometimes had to tell the artist why or do a critique. As I mentioned its only one persons oppinion. Did you have a chance to see the show? Use that as your sounding board for the next one but don't give up! Use it as a learning experience and go for it!
Lynn

Anonymous said...

This silvery black piece of abstract art is FANTASTIC, Val! It is certainly a winner in my eyes.

Anonymous said...

Val,

I've entered a lot of shows, and it is true that presentation is probably 90% of it. I've never been in a show or a gallery where it wasn't a minimal requirement that the artwork be ready to hang, and professionally framed at that—no saw-tooth hangers, only wire. I suspect that it never was actually judged, but disqualified immediately.

The gallery world can be utterly bewildering if you don't know what they expect of you. It was unfair of them if they didn't explicitly say that the entries had to be ready to hang with proper framing. Being judged out of a show can feel brutal, but you've made a big step by entering your first. Good for you! It takes bravery. It was a learning experience. Keep doing it.

EG

Deborah said...

I like your piece. It is very textured as are all of your pieces. I find it visually very interesting. How big is it? I agree with what some of the others said that it probably only came down to your lack of framing and not your artwork. Keep trying. Even try entering the same piece again (framed this time),a you might be surprised.

Tammy Freiborg said...

Fantastic! I love the painted branch!

janene said...

Val, I'm so glad you stepped out and entered the piece for jurying. That's a huge step forward, and now that you have done it once, you can do it again, and again. An artist friend of mine just entered four pieces for a juried show. Two she considered her best, the other two she just tossed in, why not? They accepted the last two, the not so good ones!!!! And one of them won a prize! Go figure! The best ones had to be carted home and now she is pondering what the judges were thinking. It would be wonderful to get feedback from the judges, but I don't think it happens often unless you pursue it. When I enter things, I find if people start flocking over to see it before it even gets to the final table - and there is a buzz in the room - it's going to make it in. Please keep trying, your work deserves to be shown. I'm sure it shows even better in person - and your fan base out here wants to see more! Janene

Melissa S. said...

Val, this is a very commendable piece! Don't be discouraged, because all jurying is pretty subjective. Same piece, next day, with different judges, renders a different outcome. Do not allow it to rob you of your joy in the creation. You did great!

Michi Michaelson, Orange County, CA said...

I think this piece is STUNNING, Val!!!!! I can see why you were saving it for submission . . . it's really STRIKING!!!!

ArtPropelled said...

This is beautiful! Please don't let one opinion upset you. Good that you got some feedback though.

Unknown said...

val~
you are a brave woman who continues to grow in her artful ways. i love seeing what you're doing and reading your explanations of technique.

one of the things that i've been doing in order to grow in my "professional" side of my art business is to reach out to other artists who are amazing and "successful". i've been learning how to clean up my artists' package and how best to present my art. i've joined a co-op gallery and am asking a lot of questions and observing how things get done... its not always a straight line from here to there.... it may not even be as straight forward as "add a frame" as not all work is MEANT to be framed. not every juror has the same perspective.

its hard to be judged, its even harder to be denied, but you learn with every rejection and so you can be thankful for an artful lesson... you know the piece is stunning and you are amazing...

xoxo
jul

Unknown said...

Hey Val it is beautiful!! I think everyone has said something I was going to write, but you are the winner for just entering. The first time I did something like that I felt terrible too but I continued and learned something more each time. It is hard in the professional galleries and found co-ops, emporiums, etc love your work more and so do real people!!
Put it on etsy or ebay, I know it would sell cause it looks that good! Keep your chin up and be proud you took a major step in your life!!! Love your work!!

Seth said...

I like this piece very much. It is so striking and the texture is amazing. Do not be discouraged by this one response. Keep on going!!!

peggy gatto said...

I have a story like all of the above!!! Same painting, 2 different shows, one it is not accepted, 2 it is a 2nd place!!!!
Rejection in the art world(for me) is NEVER easy. I keep thinking I'll get better at it, but after LOTS of No's, it is still not fun!
Keep putting your art out there for others to enjoy!!!!!