Saturday, May 3, 2008

Doodle-a-Shape

Sheesh, where does the time go??? My goal, related to my blog, was to post at least twice a week, on Sundays and Thursdays. And I did that consistently -- for a while -- but.....then I slacked off. Well, life doesn't always go as planned. I've had to work more days and hours in the past five weeks, because my work schedule suddenly changed. And I'm not sure how long I'll have to work this new schedule. But one thing I do know is that it has limited my time, for making art and posting to my blog, and doing other things as well. Grrrrr! Oh well, such is life, I guess.

Regarding this Doodle Page, it's my first real attempt at doodling, from start to finish. I've never had the urge to doodle, quite honestly. But I had a few very slow days at work, and I was getting bored out of my gourd. Normally, I do paperwork when it's slow. When I finish that, I generally read, mostly non-fiction. I love perusing art books, for ideas and inspiration, that I mostly check out from the library. And I did that, looked through five art books, and still had time on my hands. So I grabbed a piece of green cardstock, a black ink gel pen, and just started doodling, mostly out of boredom and frustration that it was so slow at work.

However, once I started this page, and it started to take "shape", (pun intended), I kind of got "into" it, and it helped relieve the boredom and frustration. I would estimate that it took me at least 10 hours to make this page, probably more. Which hardly seems worth that amount of time, but since I was bored, and it gave me something creative to do, in that sense, maybe it was worth the time. I would've preferred to invest that time in the kind of art I normally do, but that wouldn't be possible at work.

So anyway, I tried my hand at doodling, in a serious way here. And I must admit, I'm happy with the end result. Although I have no idea what I'll do with this piece. I did scan it, and could always use it as a background for other art pieces. Whether or not I'll attempt to do any more doodling during slow times at work remains to be seen. I don't know about that, I'm hoping I'll be busier at work so I won't have to make that choice. For all you serious doodlers out there, who love to doodle, I can now appreciate just how much time it takes!

I have been working on some new art lately, at home, of course. But I can't post it on my blog, because it's a collaborative project that will be submitted for publishing. I've never had my art published, nor submitted any of it for publishing, so I'm excited about this project. Hopefully, it will be accepted for publishing -- I'd really love that. There's no guarantee, of course, but the other two artists I'm collaborating with do great art work, so hopefully our work will be accepted for publishing.

Meanwhile, it's a beautiful spring day here in the Denver metro (CO) area. And yet, it snowed here Thursday, and was very cold and windy yesterday. I'm loving the weather today!!! And debating with myself about making a run to Hobby Lobby and to Joann's with some coupons in hand. Like yeah right, I need more "art stuff".


14 comments:

BunnyKissd said...

I used to doodle like that *all* the time! I wonder when & why I stopped...

I think it's time to start again! ^_^

Thanks for the inspiration!

Linda D. said...

Oh, what a brilliant doodle!!! I love doodling, although I don't do much serious doodling these days!!! Perhaps I should - you've inspired me :)

Kim said...

Well I love the doodle , but I'm dying to know where you work now too. Forewarned is forearmed they tell me - and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you're successful in being pub'd. :)

Anonymous said...

Those are great doodles Val. That would make a fabulous background page as well. Thanks for posting.

ScaryCheri said...

wonderful doodles Val. That almost looks like the zentangles they are doing now. Very cool. Hugz, Scary

ScaryCheri said...

thanks for the comment on my blog too Val, just checked it out, lol. It's Sunday ya know? Must not have enough coffee in me yet, lol. Trying to get some fabric pictures printed out and ran out of ink on one printer and the other isn't installed to desk pc so trying to get it to print from laptop, grrr. One thing or the other, lol. Have a great weekend. Hugz again, Scary

Anonymous said...

Val like you I have not been a big fan of doodling for myself, but with that said; when I'm in a lecture or class and I'm board that's exactly what I do. I really like your doodles and it's great that you could do it in slow times.
I can't imagine sitting down and just doodling.

Marilyn said...

Nice - reminds me of zentangles. Have you seen them?

Anonymous said...

Very nice Val. This is something that has interested me but I just can"t add another thing to the stuff that I do now concerning my art. It currently remains on my to do list. But yours looks fantastic!

mary schweitzer said...

Need stuff? Need doesn't even come into it when there are coupons involved! LOL!
Mary

John Dyhouse said...

Nice one.... Actually, whilst doodling is fine it does not have to be kept in a compartment all to itself. Just like any other technique in art, it can be combined with others to give you an effect which suits you or the work you are doing at the moment.

Add doodles to your collaged / stamped / or any other kind of images, it's just another option. for instance as a background as you say but theres no reason it should stop there.
John

Unknown said...

nice doodles val! that is way more detailed than any of the doodling I have done... Would make a great background - maybe an ATC???

morningDove said...

I love this doodle and it reminds me of an ear of corn with a boll worm looking out to see the world.
Not sure why that came to mind but that was what I saw looking at the great doodle. I doodle and have a few zentangles. I like playing with tangrams too. Can't wait to see your published work.

Christy said...

Val love your doodle... 10 hours... sigh, ok I can relate :)
I am going nutz with no new posts from you, no new techniques to try, no new Val posts. Pooh on your crazy job for making you work more hours. So I tried your neat technique ... oohh which one was it... http://valsalteredheartjourney.blogspot.com/2008/03/mega-texture-my-way.html
Anyway, I like the way it turned out but I made it green and well, it's kinda scary. So I'm going to repaint it but take pics first and put it on my blog for you to see!!