Thursday, August 20, 2009

I Am Woman (another funky artdoll)

I am woman, indeed!  It amuses me to view this piece of art I made a few years ago.  I seem to be in the mood to revisit some of my older art that was done before I started my blog, that has never been posted on it, and post it now.  Well, I admit that I haven't been posting nearly as often or consistently this year as I did last year.  In a way, I'm disappointed in myself for that, but in another way, I'm okay with that.  Life happens, it ebbs and flows, that's just the way it works.  I haven't been making a lot of new art lately, but would still like to post on my blog and keep it interesting.  Hence, for now, I'm posting some older art of mine.

Regarding this piece, I think it was one of my first ventures into using found objects in my art.  The frame was found at a yard sale, and was the kind that had no glass over the picture of flowers.  I liked that part, because I knew I could use it for art.  So I used some Paper Perfect by DecoArt painted over the picture.  It's very cool stuff, described as paint that creates the look of handmade paper.  It looks and feels like wet paper pulp in a jar.  I'm not sure if it's still manufactured or for sale, but I bought two jars at Joann's when they were on sale and being discontinued.  I still have them, and they are still good, the pulp is still moist.  That is rather surprising, and I should use them again before they dry up.  Anyway, I painted that over the picture for some interesting texture, then painted over that with acrylic paint.

The head is another painted papercast that I made.  For some reason, the expression looks rather angry and belligerent, which isn't the case with the actual mold.  I'm not sure at all why it came out looking that way, but it did.  Maybe it was the painting that gave it that look.  Or maybe gluing crystals into the eyes.  Then again, the stance, with hands on hips, adds to that impression.  It brings to my mind the anger of so-called "feminists" of the 70's, which was not my intent in this piece, but hey, I guess I'll go with that.  I find that rather comedic, and laugh about it.  This may have been a more conventional, attractive piece if I'd used an attractive face....but it is what it is.

I used rusted found objects (scavenged from my local truck stop parking lot) for the torso, arms, and legs.  And lace for the skirt, beads for the hands, and buttons for the feet.  That's a dangle earring on the front of the body.  Surrounding the woman (or rather artdoll) are pieces of a chain mail necklace and earring set found at a yard sale.  And last but not least is the poodle, Pierre, on the right lower side, a pin found in my vintage jewelry stash.  I used gold glitter glue around the edges of the picture.

I do love artdolls, and the idea of making them, but have made only a few so far.  But this theme is coming up for me lately, so perhaps my muse is trying to tell me something???  I really don't know.  I'm not always that clued in on what my muse is up to, ya know?  I guess only time will tell.  What I do know is that I love using found objects in my art, and that includes jewelry.  I have an interesting stash of old and not so old jewelry I haven't looked through in a while.  Who knows, that could be a start for inspiration.  Inspiration can be anywhere and everywhere, hiding or right out there in plain sight.  Here's to inspiration, any which way you can find it!!!

9 comments:

Zora said...

Val, the inspiration definitely can be anywhere - including all the inspiration the rest of us get from your work! The muse may be just saying "go with the flow". And revisiting older work is really important for anyone who creates; it brings one to reflect . . . which can lead to more inspiration:)

lori said...

Cool piece! the colors do it for me.
I HAVE missed your postings and your wonderfull art work! I think creativity flows just like the seasons....
lk

Linda East said...

I think she is awesome Val...she could come and live at my house any time you want. I love the Funky Art Puzzle Doll also... you go girl...
old dolls are great I know because I am one...so maybe you will be inspired to make some new ones???
Create & Share
Linda (Okla)

Unknown said...

this is brilliant Val and it is nice to revisit our art...great job xxx

JoAnnR said...

Val this is wonderful. LOVE vintage and rusty things too. Found that they do wonders with fabric & paper. Great inspiration. Jo~Ann (NW PA)

Michi Michaelson, Orange County, CA said...

Hi Val!
I didn't appreciate the art of "rusty things" until I once saw a demo by Michael DeMeng . . . now I think it is very COOL!!!! I love your new piece!!!! THANK YOU for sharing!!!

Pat said...

Love her! Going to look for Paper Perfect now! You always inspire me.
Pat

Unknown said...

now that I think about it I haven't seen Perfect Paper in quite awhile, I do have a jar somewhere; great use for it! I do think that maybe your dolls might be the start of a direction for you. Maybe more art dolls or? But the found object idea seems to brewing for you. This is another delighful piece.

Ashlyn said...

Your art astonishes me!! I love all of it!!

Hugs, Ashlyn